Monday, May 13, 2013

Grandma's Upcoming Getaway!

Every weekday morning my mom and dad wake up, get ready for work, get grandma ready, drop her off, then head to work. Every....day. Over and over and over again. Some mornings go smoothly and others not so much. Some mornings my grandmother just goes with the flow and does everything just perfect, but that's rare. See my grandmother is a very very pleasant woman. That is definitely something we are all so grateful for. But, the truth is she is beyond confused. Most of the time we can laugh everything off and just keep repeating what needs to be done. On the other hand, we are human, repeating and dealing with someone with Alzheimer's is exhausting. I know I give my parents kudos all the time, and some may think I'm being overly thankful. But, I do see first hand how it affects all our lives for the good and the bad. I feel so thankful to be able to stay at home with my children, my friends children, my grandmother. Some days can be frustrating, but I know in the end all of this is for the best. My grandmother is very comfortable sitting here at my house. We don't go many places, but that's more for my sanity than hers! People tell me they don't know how I do it, full-time mom, part-time student, full-time caretaker/sitter. I don't think about it...I just do it. I do it for myself, I do it for my mom, I do it for my grandmom. Don't thank me, I don't really need it...honestly. Thank my parents. My parents lives are interrupted each day, everyday. Even when my mom doesn't have my grandmother, she is handling something on her behalf. What an honor it is to be appointed that responsibility...but boy what a JOB! So, yea...I'll say it again and again...KUDOS to you mom and dad. You rock! My parents have asked for a well deserved break over the summer. Working a full-time job then taking care of grandma is hard work. I'll be the first to vouch for that! But, in the end I know I get a break at the end of the day when they come pick her up. If I would have grandma every so often it would be different. It would seem like a breeze I bet! But, this isn't the case...when you don't get a break. My parents have asked my aunt and uncle to take grandma for the summer just for a breather. Don't get me wrong, every few weekends and even some weeks out of the year a few step in to help, which is HUGE. Those few weekends and weeks are appreciated...A LOT! We have recently moved everything out of her old house. It was a lot of stuff. Such a sad thing to have to do, a lot of memories were made there. Some stuff was left, frankly because we couldn't handle it all. But, other stuff some of my mom's siblings came and got...and the rest is sitting in my parents house. A big thank you to those of who came and helped out when they got the chance! Anyways... (My grandmother has gotten worse. She is confused all day...every day. She has her sense of humor, kindness, and oh yea...her appetite! Sometimes she doesn't make it to the bathroom, or has a spill on the sidewalk...but thank goodness she bounces right back and recovers!Although, I would love to have "my" grandmother back, we all would. It would be amazing! I know she is in there somewhere....but she is stuck in her past, in her childhood.) We are looking forward to a care-free summer. Grandma, we will miss you so very much...and will be so excited and refreshed when you get back!!! For Aunt Christy and Uncle Wayne, thank you thank you thank you....from all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment